Train in Trades (TRN)
Enroll in an TRN program and you can work towards your first level of technical training in an apprenticeable trade still in high school, tuition free. 20140909097Students can take a Level 1 Apprenticeship or Foundation programs at one of the post secondary institutions our district partners with.
TRN programs are dual credit, which means that students receive both post secondary and high school credits for their program of study. Students who pass with over 70% will receive college credit, their Level 1 certification and work-based hours recognized by the Industry Training Authority.
The Ministry of Education recognizes that this program provides a valuable transition for students as they move into the working world.
TRN Programs are available in the following trades:
- Cook Training,
- Heavy Mechanical Trades,
- Horticulture, Joinery,
- Metal Fabrication,
- Plumbing and Pipefitting,
- Refrigeration & AC, HVAC,
- Sheet Metal and more…
Stop by Counselling or email Maggie Allison for a current list of available courses.
The goals of Train in Trades include:
- providing students with a smooth transition from school to work
- enhancing students existing trade-specific job-readiness skills, or providing opportunities for the development of new skills
- providing students with the opportunity to obtain a Level 1 technical training certification in a given trade
- helping prepare students to enter the world of work with the skills, attitudes, and sense of responsibility necessary to be successful.