The Board has developed the following draft of a SD64 (Gulf Islands) Strategic Plan for 2016 to 2019 and welcomes your feedback. Please read the Plan below (or download a PDF version here) then answer the four questions at the bottom of this page.
Igniting a passion for learning – inspire, integrate, involve
Providing learners with diverse and engaging opportunities leading to a future of fulfillment, joy and purpose
We place students at the heart of our work through:
- Trust – we act with integrity; we are open and honest in our communication with one another
- Responsibility – we are accountable for our actions; we support positive change, continuous improvement and the pursuit of excellence
- Opportunity – we provide dynamic and safe learning environments for all learners
- Sustainability – we honour interdependence with each other, our communities and our environment
- Collaboration – we promote meaningful interactions, a sense of belonging and equitable access by working together in cooperation
Strategic Goal 1 – Inspire Learning
Provide learning environments where all students flourish
Engage students in relevant and inspiring experiences that promote curiosity, the acquisition of foundational skills, and a life-long love of learning.
- Ensure meaningful and effective planning for continuous improvement through the Framework for Enhancing Student Learning
- Enhance and expand methods of instruction and assessment practices that promote success and well-being for all learners
- Review evidence of program success on a regular basis
Promote teaching and learning environments that incorporate innovative practices, personalized learning, inquiry-based approaches and aboriginal ways of knowing.
- Enhance and expand professional growth opportunities
- Ensure a balance of opportunities and programs by monitoring enrolment, impacts, access and sustainability
- Enhance learning through accessible and appropriate technology
- Review, implement and monitor school and district educational improvement plans including the Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreement
- Co-create and share the concept and meaning of personalized learning through community engagement processes
Strategic Goal 2 – Integrate Sustainability
Promote and facilitate sustainable practices throughout the district
Ensure the development of a healthy and stable financial environment.
- Monitor/review district finances on an ongoing timely and systematic basis
- Optimize the digitization of business functions
- Keep informed of emerging trends and opportunities
Build and sustain a vibrant employee community.
- Engage in leadership development at all levels
- Expand training, coaching and mentorship opportunities
- Ensure active succession planning
- Promote and support employee wellness
Maintain and improve the overall environment.
- Provide a healthy, welcoming and safe environment
- Encourage individual responsibility to sense of place
- Utilize resources in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly manner
Promote best practices in governance and leadership.
- Engage in a modernization of Board processes by reviewing committee mandates, policy development and bylaw implementation
- Develop and implement regular Board and Superintendent professional growth processes and conduct performance reviews for both parties
- Create a Board competency matrix and conduct a needs assessment
- Establish a formal risk management framework to ensure proper risk mitigation
Strategic Goal 3 – Involve Community
Enhance learning by connecting students, staff, and families with the local and global community
Cultivate connections that support students taking greater ownership of their learning.
- Support the creation and optimization of sense of place through inter-island, inter-school, and inter-agency collaborations
- Provide opportunities for students to connect with the greater community
Engage families and community in student learning.
- Develop a plan for consistent communication of district learning opportunities
- Strengthen public consultation and partnerships
Celebrate and promote contributions and achievements.
- Recognize and value the contributions of our students, staff, schools and community partners
- Promote district attributes locally and beyond the Gulf Islands