What is mentorship?
Mentoring is a reciprocal and non-evaluative process by which colleagues collaborate to share their experiences, knowledge and skills for personal and professional growth.
How will the mentorship relationship strengthen my practice?
- Mentorship relationships:
- build confidence
- encourage reflective practice
- develop proactive problem solving
- reaffirm skills and capacities
- help focus participants on student learning
- provide different points of view
- model instructional strategies
Who is mentorship for in our district?
The mentorship program is for teachers transitioning into the profession within their first five years of practice. Teachers who have more than five years’ experience are welcome to submit an application for consideration by the committee.
How is mentorship being organized in our district?
The New Teacher Mentorship program is overseen by a district steering committee that includes participation from Gulf Islands Teachers’ Association, the Principals and Vice Principals and administration staff. This year the members include Deborah Nostdal, Marie Mullen, Navid Niazi, Dorianna Chessa, Linda Underwood and Lisa Halstead.
How can a teacher become involved in mentorship?
Individuals interested in mentorship, either as a mentor or mentee can complete the appropriate application form and submit the form to Deborah Nostdal at firstname.lastname@example.org (print/scan/email to Deborah or print, complete, and deliver to Deborah’s mailbox at the Board Office). The steering committee will confirm mentoring relationships based on the information provided in the application forms. Alternatively the committee will attempt to match colleagues to support learning goals.
As a mentee, what are my responsibilities?
- commit to a two year relationship with your mentor within a structured program supported by the district
- attend training sessions (no more than three a year)
- be prepared to reflect on your practice and identify professional goals
- be open and willing to work collaboratively and reciprocally with others as they inquire into their practice
- recognize and maintain confidentiality
- provide feedback on your experience
Download the Mentee Application Form
As a mentor, what are my responsibilities?
Download the Mentor Application Form
If you have any questions about mentorship in Gulf Islands School District please don’t hesitate to contact any member of the steering committee.